Old Paths Homestead - raising Nubian goats and meat rabbits in Oklahoma

Slice of my life
Soap
The herd
powered by

My Blog

Countown to kidding season

We have welcomed another year here on the farm. 2011 was a year full of blessings  and we praise the Lord for growing our herd and helping us expand the soap business. I hope to use this blog mainly for updates during kidding season (with 16 does due this year it will also help me keep track :) and also to let you take a sneak peek at our life here at Old Paths Homestead.

I will be honest with you, I am counting days until first kidding. Last year we already had a nice crop of keeper doelings on the ground and what gorgeous young ladies they have since become, many to have kids of their own this spring. And, while I am thankful for the break and peaceful holiday season uninterrupted with bottle feedings and barn watches at night - I feel a little empty handed at the same time.

Our first doe due usually gets the most attention - here, as well as from our goat friends in expectations of their own kiddings. Zia could probably do without it, since she has turned into quite the loner at the height of her pregnancy and prefers to be left alone. She started uddering up last week and I just reminded myself why I decided to keep her another year - what a lovely mammary she is shaping up ... this year should be her year to shine as a 3 year old 3rd freshener. She has gotten deep and wide and filled and matured, yet  her udder stays attached front and back year after year. Zia gave us a single buckling in 2010 and a lovely pair of doelings in 2011.  We are excited to see what she produces with Dakota and I am hoping for just a bit more capacity in her mammary over last year. We are, of course, eagerly awaiting not only new babies but also stream of fresh milk - we chose not to milk through the winter this year andeven though the time off has been great, we miss our milk and customers.

So, here is to waiting ....... 28 days to go.

9 Comments to Countown to kidding season:

Comments RSS
fake omega uk on Wednesday, December 25, 2013 9:17 PM
Irving They would. to help within it's proceed to the town supervisor type of federal government. Holly Grams. Nagel, a good Irs attorney associated with thirty six Prospective client Street., lastly manages to lose about the NBC TELEVISION test display "Concentration" following 8 times because champ exactly where he or she began 12 ,.
Reply to comment

rolex submariner on Wednesday, December 25, 2013 9:18 PM
Jones Nims, chairman from the Redevelopment Subcommittee from the People Motion Panel, states he'll producer each and every work to create collectively authorities of the house Real estate Financial Company, town frontrunners as well as NRA chiefs in order to speed up redevelopment in the primary Walls restoration region.
Reply to comment

assignmentman writing service on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 9:28 AM
You should start working further because the season has been almost here for getting the required place for harvesting. I also like to spend most of the time in the same place where you are heading toward.
Reply to comment

Julia on Saturday, July 07, 2018 12:03 AM
I just want to say that such articles are unique to be found on other websites. I expect more similar articles from you. lip gloss boxes for sale
Reply to comment

Smith on Thursday, September 06, 2018 5:35 AM
Countown to kidding season is very good topic. Today i have seen there posts about topic countown to kidding season but this post is one of the best post. Thanks. rubber sheet supplier UK
Reply to comment

http://gymnasticmatsco.co.uk/ on Thursday, October 04, 2018 1:02 AM
It's really nice thought about your kissing seasons, Your article is giving me goose bumps.I love to read this types of articles.
Reply to comment

Johny on Friday, November 02, 2018 3:27 AM
Thank you very much for taking your time to create this very informative site. I have learned a lot from your site. Thanks how to buy rubber flooring rolls
Reply to comment

best rubber sheets for sale on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 6:25 AM
Thanks! I have an intense interest to go for it so I'll try t o manage the next event. Thanks for inform about the festival.
Reply to comment

http://gymmatscompany.co.uk/ on Friday, November 16, 2018 2:31 AM
Excellent article! You have been sharing a lot of attractive home improvement ideas here. Awesome for all, the tips shared here for constructing man caves look pretty interesting.
Reply to comment